Word for 2018-abide

My word for 2018 is abide.  I have this great picture over my fireplace made by a good friend that reminds me to abide each day.  My understanding of abide is to "be with Jesus."

What does it mean to abide?  Here are some definitions to help us better understand the word. 
  • The Greek word "meno" which is a verb means "to stay". It can also be translated as abide, continue, dwell, endure, be present, remain, stand, tarry for. I have shared various verses over the last few months.
Today, I want to share some thoughts I have had regarding abiding over the last year.
  • My previous understand of abiding was that we do things to help us abide.  For example, I read my Bible, pray, go to church to help me abide. These "good things" were at the top which led me to abiding.  However, now I see abiding as where I start and it might include things such as reading my Bible, going to church or praying.  Too often our list might actually get in the way of abiding.
  • As humans and especially as Americans, we need to "do" something.  We want to be told what to do and how.  That is why the application part of a sermon is the most important part for us. The more I understand abiding, the more I realize the simple message of "be with Jesus" or abide is often seen as insufficient or not compelling.  We think it will produce laziness in us.
  • Abiding is about being, not doing.  Abiding is about relationship, not rules.
  • Abiding leads to rest not exhaustion. We rest in the finished work of Jesus on our behalf.
  • Abiding focuses on grace not law.
  • Abiding gets us to fix our eyes on Jesus not ourselves.  Abiding gets us to look up not inward or outward.  
  • Abiding helps us remain or stay even when the world or flesh or Satan wants us to move on.   
  • Abiding is dwelling.  And the one who chose to dwell among us is Jesus.  God chose us first. Abiding focuses our transformation on the only One who can change our hearts and minds and that is Christ.
I hope this has been helpful for you over the last year.  Check back in a week for my word for 2019.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48