Tonight at VBS , the 3rd and 4 th graders are starting to realize that being a Christian in Rome can get you into trouble. Paul shared his story of how God changed him on the road to Damascus. He tried to help Brutus understand that when we become Christians we have to change. Therefore, our point for tonight was God's Love Changes Us. Tonight, several brought money for our offering competition for Haiti Lifeline Ministry. We hope to show a video about this ministry either Wed. or Thurs. night.
Did I get your attention? Yesterday, I experienced a funny situation with Molly and her buddy, Jacob. I had sent Molly over to Jacob's house (for those not from Hesston , they are our neighbors) to play while I finished a few things at the house. After finishing, I headed over to check on her. This is when I hear, "Jacob!" from his mom. I had met Corey (Jacob's Dad) in the garage and were headed to their back patio. When I heard Rachel (Jacob's mom) say, "Put your clothes on!" Corey and I laughed as we rounded the corner and saw Molly and Jacob naked from the waist down. They had both decided to go swimming and didn't have swimming suits so they decided to take matters into their own hands. Both Molly and Jacob looked at us as if to say, "What's wrong? We knew we shouldn't get our clothes wet so we just took them off." Anyway, Corey, Rachel, and I joked that this was funny now, but we hoped we would not encounter this 14 year...
This past week, I started a new book by Elyse Fitzpatrick titled, Counsel from the Cross which she has written with Dennis Johnson. I loved Elyse's book, Found in Him and have already enjoyed the first few chapters. Here are a few quotes from the opening chapters: Our need of Christ does not cease with our believing...It is always on His "blood and righteousness" alone that we can rest.(Warfield) When we lose the centrality of the cross, Christianity morphs into a religion of self-improvement and becomes about us, about our accomplishments, and about getting our act together. We become become who ask WWJD (What would Jesus do?) without ever considering the gospel or WDJD (What did Jesus do?). We need to hear the gospel again because if we have forgotten his work on our behalf, it will skew the way we think of God, the way we think of ourselves, and the way we think of others. God's disposition toward us is entirely different because we are beloved. As...
Comments
Post a Comment