Sermon Notes: Word and Spirit based on Luke 24:13-32


Introduction: Today’s message is titled, “Word AND Spirit”. The key word for us this morning is the word AND. For many, including myself and many churches, we see these words on a continuum and we move back and forth between the two. So, what does an individual and/or church look like that holds Word and Spirit up equally together? 


Let me tell you my story. I have attended church all of my life and learned a lot of stories from the Bible. Then at summer camp in Middle School, I realized I was a sinner who needed a Savior and his name was Jesus and I began my Christian journey then.  But it wasn’t until college that I began to really see Jesus as an essential part of my life.  That realization came about because there was a girl that I really liked and I wanted to impress but knew that she was looking for someone who was more serious about their faith.  The Holy Spirit used this girl to create in me a hunger for more of Him. I began to study the Bible and grew a lot in my faith.  During my college years, I felt led to go into ministry so I decided I needed to attend seminary.  So, I headed to Denver Seminary where I learned a great deal of “Head” knowledge and a lot about the Bible. I loved my time in seminary even though it was a lot of work. It was also at this time that I met a woman named Carol Conner. Carol attended the church where I attended while in seminary and when I became youth pastor at that church, she approached me and said, “We need to be praying for the youth so when are you and I going to pray for them each week? The Holy Spirit used this woman to teach me much about prayer and the Holy Spirit. I attended many conferences with Carol on the person and power of the Holy Spirit and even prayer retreats where we would spend hours in prayer. Some of these experiences were out of my comfort zone. My story might not be that different from yours, but because I never understood that Word and Spirit are equally important, I would go back and forth between the two. I would try and grow through more understanding, teaching, classes on the Bible. Then I would want to know more about the Holy Spirit, prayer, and the presence and power of God. And back and forth and back and forth I would go. Is this what God intended for us?



Word AND Spirit Together


·  Both the Word and the Spirit point to Jesus.

·  The Same Holy Spirit that inspired the authors of Scripture is the same Holy Spirit that can help you understand the Word.

   John 4:23-24 says “But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

·   God speaks through His Word and through His Spirit. The Word helps us test what we are hearing from the Spirit. The Spirit brings revelation to what we are reading in the Word.

  

Chart from Convergence by Sam Storms

WORD
SPIRIT
Centrality of Sermon
Centrality of Worship
Predictability
Spontaneity
Principles
Power
Prizes knowledge
Prizes experience
Focus on the intellect (head)
Focus on the Affections (heart)
Biblically informed wisdom
Spiritually imparted discernment
Focus on quality (desire for better)
Focus on quantity (desire for more)
Prayer is monologue
Prayer is dialogue
Emphasis: God’s sovereignty
Emphasis: Man’s responsibility
Stresses Christ’s Deity
Stresses Christ’s humanity
Worship focus: Understanding God
Worship focus: Enjoying God
Worship: Reverence, controlled
Worship: Joy, Love, expressive





Word

·         Vs. 14-15-talking about everything (facts), talked and discussed, Jesus came up

·         Vs. 18-Do you not know? (information, focus on head)

·         Vs. 19-prophet (one who hears from God and speaks the Word of God), powerful in word

·         Vs. 20-21-sentenced to death and crucifixion, it’s the third day

·         Vs. 22-24-went to the tomb, no body, saw angels who said He is alive, others went and saw

·         Vs. 25-how foolish you are (head)-mindless or not marked by use of reason, prophets have spoken

o   The Message “So thick-headed”

·         Vs. 27-Beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them was was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

·         Great example in one verse of Word and Spirit-Luke 24:32- They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?”

·         Vs. 34-It is true-He is risen (focus on truth)

·         Jesus is called the Word-John 1:1 says “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”


Spirit

·         Vs. 15-Jesus drew near and went with them (presence)

·         Vs. 16-kept from recognizing him

·         Vs. 19-powerful in deed (power)

·         Vs. 20-hoping He would redeem and set us free (promise)

o   John 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

·         Vs. 25-how slow of heart

o   Our problem is not with information

o   Example: Religious leaders-Sadduccees-Matthew 22:29- But Jesus answered them, “You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God.

·         Vs. 29-Stay with us, so he went in to stay with them (Stay same word translated abide in John 15)

·         Vs. 31-eyes were opened (to gain or regain the ability to perceive or understand)

·         Vs. 32-Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road (personal emotions)

o   Feel strong emotion

o   inward warmth of heart as springing from the presence of the risen Lord.[1]

·         Vs. 49-Holy Spirit-“But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.” (person)


Response: We want to be a church that is based on Word and Spirit. My prayer for HMBC continues to be that we would have a hunger for the Word and a thirst for the Holy Spirit. So, to grow in this as individuals, this week, ask the Holy Spirit to bring to mind a person, a name, or a face from Hesston MB or from our community.  Then ask God to give you a Scripture for that person. Send them a text, email or card in the mail with some encouragement and that Word.





           



[1] Marshall, I. H. (1978). The Gospel of Luke: a commentary on the Greek text (p. 899). Exeter: Paternoster Press.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48