Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Introduction: As I was thinking and praying about what to share during my final sermon on staff, I began to think of the transition that I am making as well as the church.  We as pastors have been consistently focused on three priorities over the last several years: prayer, worship and equip.  So, even though I may no longer be on staff in a few weeks at this church, as a member of this church I believe just as strongly that Hesston MB needs to continue to be about these priorities in the days ahead.  However, the more I prayed about it, the more I realized that to get to these priorities, we as a church also had to make some transitions so that is why I am entitling this message “Transitional Thoughts”.  Transition is defined as “the process or an instance of changing from one form, state, activity, or place to another.”

Educate to Equip-Ephesians 4:11-16

·         What is the difference? 

o   To educate the focus is information; to equip the focus is transformation

o   Educate is often focused on the head; Equip seeks to focus on head, heart, and hands.

o   We can see the difference in most professions.  A formal education process is mostly focused on facts.  But every profession has some form of internship or practicum or hands on learning to complete the process.  Have we in the church only focused on the facts and not moved on to “putting it into practice”?

·         Vs. 11-12-He gave the apostles, prophets, evangelists, shepherds and teachers for what?  To Equip the saints for the work of ministry to build up the body of Christ.  Who does the work of the church?  The pastors? The Church Council? The Committees?  The answer is YOU.

·         Vs. 13-14-When we are equipped and doing the work it leads to what

o   Unity & maturity

o   So that we are not tossed around by doctrine, human cunning or deceitful schemes. It’s why I often pray we would hear God’s voice and not the voice of the world, flesh or Enemy.

·         Vs. 15-16-All of this leads to a church that

o   Speaks the truth in love

o   We follow the head (Jesus) rather than our agenda

o   We all do our part and the body grows and love is the evidence

Work to Worship-Psalm 115:1 & 1 Corinthians 10:31

·         Work can be worship, but not always.

·         What is the difference?

o   Work focuses on self, worship focuses on God

§  Alison Nikkel shared a few weeks ago, “I suddenly found myself needing less from God and more of God.”

o   Work focuses on do, worship focuses on be

§  My change in thought about things to do (pray, read the Bible, worship) to abide rather than just abide

o   Work can lead to busyness and burnout; worship leads to presence and abiding

o   Work points to self or others, worship points to God

·         Psalm 115:1-“Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness!”

o   A prayer I have prayed often on this stage.

o   I don’t want the glory for myself, the glory for Hesston MB, but to Him alone.

·         1 Corinthians 10:31-“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”

o   Are you an athlete, do it for the glory of God? Are you a musician, do it for the glory of God?  Are you a mechanic, do it for the glory of God?  Are you a mom, do it for the glory of God?  Are you a CEO, do it for the glory of God? When we choose to give God the glory with all of our lives through surrender and submission, His Kingdom is advanced.

Pride to Prayer-Hebrews 4:14-16

·         Why don’t we pray? At the root of all the reasons I discovered was some form of pride. It seems harsh to say that.  But let’s think about it for a moment.

o   I don’t have time.  A focus on my time is more important than time talking with God.

o   I don’t know what to say. A focus on my thoughts than God’s thoughts.

o   I don’t want to bother God with my small request. Or who am I to pray to the Almighty God? A focus on my lack of identity rather than precious in His eyes.

o   I’m not worthy to pray. A focus on my sin rather than Christ in me.

o   I don’t like to pray in groups. A focus on my comfort rather than Christ’s command.

·         Hebrews 4:14-16

o   Vs. 14-We have a great high priest-Jesus!

o   Vs. 15-This high priest understands our weaknesses.  He experienced all feelings and emotions that we do, yet was without sin.

o   Vs. 16-So what? We can confidently approach his throne of grace with any and all requests with no fear, no judgment, no unworthiness, etc. and the result: we will receive mercy and grace in our time of need.

·         Church, we need to be praying together!  Let me repeat that.  Yes, we need to pray individually and at home.  But we need to be gathering together as a church when there is opportunity to pray.  What do we need prayer for?  Because if we don’t we end up using human wisdom to make important decisions.  We need to pray for families in our church who are “in a time of need”, at the church for staff, finances, renovations, fall programs, our community, nation and world.

Response (Reflect)

·         Pray with others, prayer team or pastors or Confess/Repent

·         Take communion

·         Ask God: What transition do you want to teach me more?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48