Snow & Sin

As I watched the snow fall last night and today, I had child-like excitement. I wanted to grab the kids and head to Mt. Hesston for some sledding. But not today. There is just something about the first snow. It seems to fall so effortlessly and so beautifully. It reflects light so magnificently. Someone told me that no two snowflakes are alike. Have you pondered that statement? How can you watch this beauty and uniqueness of every flake and not say, "Praise God!" Every time it snows it produces in me an awe of our Creator God. I am not sure exactly why. But I do know I serve a God who is awesome and creative.

This leads to the second thing I am reminded of by the snow. It is that my sin will be washed away through Jesus' blood-not my own effort. But through Christ, my sins are washed away. In Psalm 51, we read the following:

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you desire truth in the inner parts ; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."

Psalm 51 is made possible by Jesus' death on the cross. I cannot become whiter by being good, by trying harder, by following rules, etc. I can only be forgiven through Jesus. He makes me white as snow. The longer I am a Christian, the more I am aware of my sin. I am a sinner saved by grace. I hope to never take for granted what Jesus did for me. When I begin to think or act this way, God usually gets my attention.

As I watch the snow, I want to say, "thank you, Jesus, for dying for me, for my salvation, and forgiveness and for the same for those reading this post right now. If they have not experienced a relationship with you, I pray for their salvation right now. May they experience what forgiveness is and what it means to have their sins washed away and allow them to be whiter than snow.

Comments

  1. Our Schott Family 2009 verse is Ps. 51:7, 10--liked reading all the verses you had above. Beautiful white snow--thankful for His washer even whiter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48