Emerging Themes from #d62012

I promised I would share some emerging themes from D6 Conference 2012.  There were a few thoughts that were repeated often or connected in my mind.  As I continue to reflect on what God wants from me moving forward, I feel strongly these themes will be central.

  • ABIDE-Yes I know it was the theme of the conference and everything, but it was an important theme for anyone in ministry whether volunteer or paid.  Pete Wilson started us here and it continued to come up often.  Thanks Randall House for choosing this theme and for the great job key note speakers did keeping it central.  It's not what I do, but who I am.  Am I connected to the vine?  Staying connected to God is essential for my calling. I will continue to meditate on John 15 for the weeks ahead.
  • EQUIP PARENTS-This is a major part of my job description at church.  Every conference I attend I am looking for ways to do this better.  The need for equipping was brought up during workshops on damaging parenting styles & raising boys who love Jesus.  It continued through speakers such as Luter, McDowell, Rainey, & Ross. I will continue to pray about the best way to do this in Hesston.  I know the Enemy does not want this to occur.  Lord, help me know how to do this effectively.
  • MENTORING-This was a theme that I noticed when attending the AMFM Conference in 2010.  I made a few steps in the right direction by starting marriage mentoring at HMBC.  But this keeps coming up in my mind.  I now can see this as a possibility with dads as well as children & youth.  It is also tied with equipping parents through activities such as rites of passage (this came up many times this year at D6 too). God, help me understand and implement mentoring in a way that honors You and    strengthens Your church.
  • CENTRALITY OF GOD'S WORD-Obviously, at a ministry conference, the Bible should be central.  However, I have been to way too many ministry conferences where pop culture or successful ministry practices take center stage.  I am sure the organizers don't plan this, but it is what comes across. I have attended D6 all four years and have been impressed with the focus on Scripture.  All of the speakers have kept it front and center.  Guckenberger & Luter brought this theme home strong.
  • MAJESTY OF GOD-I am always impressed of how well Ross explains this. This was also evident in the worship times led by Aaron Shust, Seeds, Shane & Shane, & Bethany Dillon.  God orchestrated some powerful times of worship that focused on His majesty.  I want to be in awe of God as well as intimate with Him.  All of the speakers made a point to give God glory for the way He has personally worked in their lives and in the lives of others.  Praise God!
Check back later in the week for more thoughts from the D6 Conference.

One bonus theme emerging is a "possible book I should write". I might share more about it as God reveals more, but for now let's just say it would be about prayer in family ministry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48