The Doctor

Over the last 3 weeks, I have had more visits to the Dr. office than I can remember in probably the last 10 years. That might be an exaggeration, but it seems to be true. I consider myself to be a healthy guy who exercises several times per week. I love to eat so that is an area that I could always improve on.

However, 3 weeks ago, I went to the doctor about a skin issue. To me, it felt like I had an internal sunburn, no itching, but just uncomfortable. I went on steroids, but that did nothing. I even had a steroid injection which didn't touch the burning. After about 2 weeks, I returned to the doctor because the internal burn was slowing going away, but now had several places with itchy skin. My doctor suggested I visit a dermatologist, but something that I said had him decide to run a blood test. It is the test they give to pregnant women where they drink the sugary drink and check blood sugar every hour for 2 hours.

Well, the results came back and I have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. What does this mean? Well, my understanding is that I will eventually develop type 2 diabetes. However, being diagnosed early allows me to postpone that decision for as long as possible. As I talked with Jay Wedel, he said to me, as a person of faith, we know things happen for a reason. He went on to say that as a healthy guy, I could have continued on with life without knowing I was pre-diabetic because most likely I would not have been to the doctor because of my age and good health. Left untreated, I would have probably developed type 2 within 5 years. This was truly a God thing that got me to the doctor for a skin issue that possibly has prevented me developing type 2 diabetes for 10, 20, or even possibly 30 years (my preference).

Praise God! I definitely was not expecting this diagnosis and it means some definite changes in my diet, but I am thankful that it was discovered and I have a treatment plan to keep me in this stage for many years to come. This does not bring me down, but actually has been a place of growth spiritually. Thank you, God, for getting me into a doctor, for the diagnosis and treatment, and for a doctor who recognized something to have the test run!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48