Stop Complaining

This morning, I was reading from Numbers 11 where the Israelites complain about life. Why don't we have tastier food? This manna is getting dry and a little old day after day. God was not impressed by their complaints. It reminded me of another Scripture in Philippians 2:14 which says, "Do everything without complaining or arguing." This is a some great advice from Paul, but sometimes difficult to live out.

So, are you a complainer? I tend to be a positive person, but occasionally I begin to complain to myself or to my wife. My kids (like most kids) complain about food and other things off and on throughout the day. As I read God's Word this morning, I started to wonder why we complain (we are no different than the Israelites--we would have been complaining too). What makes us complain?

Here are a few things that came to mind. I complain when I feel like I am not getting what I deserve. It usually has to do with being selfish. I want something, don't get it, and wonder why and then I complain in my heart or out loud. People also complain when their preferences are ignored. For example, "I don't like that music. I don't like that food." We also complain when our personal or family situations are threatened. If we are verbally or physically attacked, we usually offer up a complaint.

So, what is the better response than to complain? Thankfulness, gratefulness, generosity, sacrifice are a few words that come to mind. I am thankful for what I have; I am grateful rather than wanting more. We sacrifice our individual preferences for the good of the family, workplace, or church. We realize everything we have is a gift from God and it does not belong to us and this includes our own bodies and families.

Let's ,with the Holy Spirit's help, strive to be people who exhibit love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control rather than be a people of complaints!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48

What is D6 Conference?