The Older Brother

The title of this post is true for 2 reasons. First of all, I am the older brother to Abbie. Growing up as an older brother, I tried to protect, watch out for, and take care of my little sister. But, I often failed in this such as the time I raced her down the big hill which ended with her getting stitches. But I'm also the older brother in the parable of the two sons (or better know to many of us as the prodigal son in Luke 15). Recently, we had a sermon where the speaker admitted that he would have been a Pharisee if he was alive during Jesus' time. Even though, we would like to disagree with that, many of us would have to agree with him.

So, as I was reading Tim Keller's book, The Prodigal God, this morning I was reminded how I am the older brother again. Keller challenges our understanding of what the point or message of this parable really is. Is it about a forgiving God? Yes, but Keller says it's more. The audience is the Pharisees so they would easily have related to this story as the older brother too. One thing really got me thinking today. It is this: churches love to share the gospel but unfortunately many see the gospel as something only for those who do not have a relationship with Christ. Keller is challenging all of us to see the gospel as "Good News" for us now not just for the unbeliever. I need Jesus today. I need the Holy Spirit to change my heart and attitudes now. When the gospel is shared, as believers we should not tune out. It should be a reminder that just because we have a relationship with Christ does not mean that we have it figured out. I might not be a murderer or adulterer, but I have anger, unforgiveness, impatience, selfishness, & lusts that I must deal with daily.

The older brother claims to be better than the sinful younger brother. But he is just as guilty because he is selfish and focused on the good things he has done. He thinks he does not need Jesus because his outward behaviors are noble and good. However, deep down his heart needs a touch from the Savior. He needs the gospel now and needs Jesus to transform him. When we begin to live as if we don't need Jesus now, we have become the older brother. Yes, we might have a few outward signs that are good and godly, but what about our hearts? Are we doing church so that God will bless us? Are we participating in service or outreach because we want others to think we are holy and good? Do we point out others sins that are obvious, but forget about the unforgiveness or judgmental attitude in our own hearts? Do we like to highlight our good so that people don't know about our struggles?

I don't know about you, but I am an older brother. I am really being challenged by this parable of Jesus and this book by Keller. I encourage you to read Luke 15 and see which brother you are. After you decide, ask yourself some of the questions I have listed above. Without the grace of Jesus, I am no better than _______________ (fill in the blank with the worst sinner you can think of).

Jesus, I need you today. Help me to follow you in all I do and think. Reveal to me the areas in my life that need your healing touch. Holy Spirit, convict in me those things I hide and push down because I want to be seen as a "Good Christian."

Comments

  1. ok, you are my second friend to blog about this parable in the last week. I get the picture. I was considering buying that book. From what you say it sounds like it would be a great buy. Thanks for sharing and being honest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48

What is D6 Conference?