Some Choices for Lent

Yesterday, I wrote a post about looking for ideas for families to do during Lent.  I am going to be trying a few things, but do not have definite plans yet. 

However, as I thought about what I might do for Lent, I thought about a few ideas to share with you.  This is a great time to begin a new "habit" to help you grow in your relationship with God. 

Here are a few suggestions for you during the next 40 days:
  • You Version (on android or Apple devices) has several reading plans for Lent.  I am currently doing one suggested by Pastor Brad.  It is called 40 Days of Lent.
  • Fasting--Have you considered giving up food, TV, facebook, etc. during the next 40 days?  Maybe you should start small and pick one day and fast from your choice.
  • Spiritual Disciplines-There are many great books on the Spiritual Disciplines.  You could choose silence, solitude, meditation, etc. to try during Lent.  I would encourage you to pick up Good and Beautiful God by James Bryan Smith and better understand the God we worship and it includes some "soul training" exercises at the end of each chapter.
  • Growing as a parent-All of us want to be better parents.  Lent can be a time to seek God and be empowered by the Holy Spirit to be the parent you want to be.  A few books to help in this area are Legacy Path by Brian Haynes or The Resolution for Men by Stephen & Alex Kendrick.
  • Jesus Calling-I have recommended this devotional to many people.  I like it because it reads as if God is speaking directly to you.  There are many other devotions out there that would be good for you to start during Lent.  Visit your local Christian bookstore for more ideas (I am a big fan of the staff of Faith and Life Bookstore in Newton!)
I hope this Lent is a growth time in your relationship with God.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48