#USMB Study Conference

In a week, I will be headed to Phoenix for a study conference with the USMB (United States Mennonite Brethren) churches. In preparation for that conference, attendees were asked to read two books from different perspectives on the topics of society and state and love and nonresistance from our confession of faith.

I am excited and interested about what will occur in Phoenix.  First of all, I want to commend the USMB conference for their willingness to study and discuss difficult theological topics.  In previous denominations, those decisions were made by the "scholars" (typically academic institutions) and those in power on high (typically those who represent the denomination in their respective headquarters).  Churches were told to get on board and follow along because "we have done the study and if you were intelligent like us, you would agree." For this and many other reasons, I am thankful to be a part of the USMB family.

I thought I would share the books I read in preparation for this conference:

Between Pacifism and Jihad: Just War and Christian Tradition by J. Daryl Charles
The Power of the Lamb edited by Toews & Nickel
The Naked Anabaptist by Stuart Murray
I am looking forward to next week.  In addition to time spent with my wife and colleagues in ministry, is there a better time to be in Phoenix than in January?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48