What do we do?

Below are my notes from my sermon today at Hesston MB.  The passage was John 6:16-36.

Opening- THINGS A MOM DOESN'T WANT TO HEAR

1. I swallowed a goldfish.
2. Your lipstick works better than crayons.
3. Does grape juice leave a stain?
4. Look, I painted the front door!
5. The principal called...
6. But DAD says that word all the time.
7. What's it cost to fix a window?
8. The dog doesn't like dressing up in your clothes.
9. Has anyone seen my earthworms???
10. I'm going to run away!! (Well, maybe SOME days...)


Background-Our passage follows the feeding of the 5000 where not only did Jesus do a miracle to feed the people, but He did so abundantly where 12 basketfuls were left over. Jesus walking on water is written about in Matthew 14 & Mark 6

 (Vs. 16-21) Jesus is powerful

  • Vs. 19-they saw Jesus approaching. . .
    • Their response: terrified. Why? Amazed at this miracle, thought he was a ghost, stressed out by the wind & waves.
    • Our response: would it be any different? When faced with difficulty, where do we turn first?
  • Vs. 20-Jesus spoke, It is I, don’t be afraid.
    • Greek ego eimi (eh GOH ay MEE)Literally, “I Am, I Am” Jesus responds with His identity as fully God, I AM
      • I am the God of Abraham/Isaac-Gen. 28:13, God’s reply to Moses-I am who I am Exodus 3:14, I Am With You Always Matt. 28:20
      • I Am Statements in John: Bread of Life, Light, Gate, Shepherd, Resurrection & Life, Way/Truth/Life, Vine
    • Because we know I Am, we don’t have to be afraid (repeated 33X in ESV)
    • Are you worried, afraid, anxious today?  Look not at your situation, but instead trust in the identity and character of Jesus. Listen to the good news from God’s Word.
      • Genesis 26:24; Joshua 1:9; Isaiah 43:5; Luke 2:10; Mark 16:6
  • Vs. 21-Notice the miracle of boat arriving showing his protection & power
  • Vs. 22-25-People go in search of Jesus

(Vs. 25-36) Jesus is provider

  • Vs. 26-“I tell you the truth” The familiar double amÄ“n (“truly,” in NASB which the NIV again renders “I tell you the truth”,verily, verily in KJV),  formula once more announces the presence of a crucial idea from Jesus.
  • The meaning of “sign” in this Gospel is that it points beyond the physical. It provides insight into who Jesus is.
  • Vs. 27-Do not work for food that spoils, but food that endures
    • Given by Son of Man,
    • seal of approval by God the Father-sign of authenticity, endorsement
    • What is this food? We will see later in vs. 35, it is not a thing, but a Person
  • Vs. 28-Great question-what must we do? It’s our question too.
  • Vs. 29-Great, Good News Answer.
    • Believe in the one He has sent
    • It is hard for us as humans to receive without conditions.  If I help you, then you will make it even by helping me in the future. If I give money to you, you will pay me back. 
    • But what is required is not conditional. It is not if then.  All we can do is believe and receive this amazing grace. 
    • The Gospel of grace announces that Jesus came to acquit the guilty. He came to judge and be judged in our place. Christ came to satisfy the deep accusation against us once and for all so that we can be free from the judgment of God, others, and ourselves. He came to relieve us of our endlessly exhausting efforts at trying to deal with judgment on our own. The Gospel declares that our guilt has been atoned for, the Law has been fulfilled. So we don’t need to live under the burden of trying to appease the judgment we feel; in Christ, the ultimate demand has been met, the deepest judgment has been satisfied. The internal voice that says, “Do this and live” gets drowned out by the external voice that says, “It is finished!” (Tullian Tchividjian, One Way Love, pg. 73)
    • I agree with many authors such as Tchividjian, Dodson, Chandler, Greear, Fitzpatrick, and many more that this grace not only saves us but sustains us in the Christian life as well.  The answer to living for Jesus is not do more, add more rules, but get your eyes focused on Jesus and what He accomplished for us on the cross. 
    • David Putman in his ebook, “The Gospel Disciple writes, “The gospel informs us that we are saved by grace but we also grow by grace . . .While I depended on the gospel to save me, I depended on my ability to live up to certain standards and expectations to grow me. . .The gospel is all we need to come to complete maturity.  I no longer do to earn God’s favor; I do because I have God’s favor. . .Once again we see gospel in-gospel out.”
  • Vs. 30-36-What sign will you give so we can believe?
    • Notice they missed the sign of feeding 5000
    • Their focus was Moses, Jesus pointed them to God
    • Vs. 34-We want this bread.  Just like Samaritan Woman who wanted the living water.
    • VS. 35-Jesus said I AM the Bread of Life
      •   

Comments

  1. I love your list of the ten things a mom doesn't want to hear. And I love hearing about Jesus being being my provider and protector. Thanks! J.L.!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48