Journey through the Psalms

For my morning devotions over the last few months, I have been reading one Psalm each morning and listing the character or attributes of God.  It has been a blessing to me.  I specifically look for words related to God not the person.

This has reinforced a few thoughts for me:

  • God is good!  So often, we make God out to be a grumpy mean deity in the Old Testament. The Psalms are a reminder of God being loving, good, and gracious.
  • God is for us!  I am currently in Psalm 69 and I am reminded how God is for us as his people.  Many times the author of the Psalm asks for deliverance or help from God.  We see a God who is interested in the lives of His people.
  • God is powerful!  Listen to these words from Psalm 68: "O kingdoms of the earth, sing to God; sing praises to the Lord, Selah to him who rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens; behold, he sends out his voice, his mighty voice. Ascribe power to God, whose majesty is over Israel, and whose power is in the skies. Awesome is God from his sanctuary; the God of Israel—he is the one who gives power and strength to his people. Blessed be God!" (Psalm 68:32-35 ESV)
If you are looking for a way to grow in knowlege of who God is and a simple devotional idea, I would encourage you to consider going through the Psalms in 2015. List the traits you discover of God in a notebook or journal and come back to it often to remind you of the God who is good, for us, and powerful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48