I finished the book, but would not recommend it

If you have been a regular follower of the blog, you know I have been struggling to finish a book on parenting.  I have tried to put into words why I have a love/hate relationship with the book.  I think my best explanation would be that I believe the author mixes the law and gospel.  It was very difficult for me because Farley gets the gospel right, but then the law is explained and it seems the line between law and gospel is blurred.  Other books on parenting have been full of law and no gospel.  Others explain the gospel in away I would disagree.  This book's explanation of the gospel I agree with, but struggle with the mixing of law/gospel in application. Here are a few quotes from the final chapters of the book:

She rejoiced that Jesus had died in her place, that he had borne the Father's wrath in her stead...It moved the truth of God's love from her head to her heart. She saw and felt the Father's affection in a new way.

Behind almost every child's weakness is a corresponding strength.

we need to preach the gospel to ourselves daily.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48