Tribute to Steve Toews

Wow-it's been a long time since I last blogged. I have at least two I am planning for the coming week. The first is a tribute to Pastor Steve and the second is a summary of my last week in Phoenix. I hope they both will encourage you!

Today, we at Hesston MB said goodbye to Pastor Steve and Deborah after 14 years of faithful service. We had a great time of sharing memories, presentation of a scrapbook, and a travel voucher. Steve shared during our worship some reflections of the past 14 years. It was a great morning of celebration of how God used Steve at Hesston MB and in our community. He will be missed and I look forward to see where God will take him next.

I wanted to share a few things that I appreciated about my colleague in ministry. From the first conversation I had with Steve over the phone, I knew he was a man of God. He shared about a new position at the church. I was not looking to leave my current ministry in Iola, but after seeking the Lord in prayer, Bethany and I decided to go ahead and submit a resume. Following this decision, I met Steve in El Dorado to talk more about the church and ministry. We talked for several hours. I remember coming away from that time knowing that this man of God had a pastoral heart as he shared about a recent unexpected death of a church member. I could tell God had equipped him to be a supportive pastor. From this first face to face visit, I could tell that we would be able to work well together.

Over the last 18 months, I have grown to appreciate him more and more. One of my greatest blessings was our weekly staff meetings. We meet together to discuss the service (the last Sunday and the upcoming Sunday) on Tuesdays and then meet again on Wednesdays to discuss ministry and other church situations. Then over the last 6 months, we have met one on one. I have enjoyed these times as he encourages and challenges me in my specific ministry. It has been great to bounce ideas off of one another. Another thing I appreciate is his humility and depth. He was truly a humble man of God. He also wanted to always go deeper in his walk with God. He was never content but always reading some challenging books. This aspect challenges me to keep reading as well.

He also was a man of prayer and student of the Bible. He faithfully preached God's Word every Sunday. He held up the truth each and every week. It was a joy to discuss how to present truths to the congregation each week. Similarly, he prayed regularly for the church. His prayer life and connection to the Holy Spirit were evident. After I had been at the church for several months, he shared the story of how the Holy Spirit prompted him to talk with my seminary professor which is how I got connected to Hesston MB. I have seen this reliance of the Holy Spirit often throughout the last year and a half.

I could go on and on. Steve Toews was a great pastor to serve alongside. He has brought many great changes at Hesston MB. He has prepared this congregation to love the Word, outreach, and missions. But I also know that he would want me to end saying, To God Be the Glory, for the way He has empowered him for ministry.

Comments

  1. As a friend and fellow minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I heartily affirm you and your comments. I just found out about Steve's departure through my sister-in-law's former church. Will be praying for you and your church family. All God's best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48