Social Media and Me

As a dad, I find myself constantly keeping tabs on the amount of screen time my kids have.  With smartphones, they can be connected to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and more wherever they are.  At times, it can be frustrating to see them on their devices so much. I have said several times during my sabbatical, "No more screen time.  Go outside or let's go to the pool or let's play a board game." As a dad, I seem to think they might be out of control when it comes to screen time.

Now to confess something to all of you.  I like screen time as much as they do.  I would be the first to say that I don't need social media and I can quit at any time.  Then I go on a trip to Guatemala where internet is limited.  What do I feel?  I feel withdrawal.  I feel anxiety.  I get frustrated because the internet that I do have is slow.

The light bulb goes on.  I need social media more than I think I do.  I realize there is something inside of me that thrives on the likes or retweets of what I say or pictures I post.  And it goes deeper.  Why do I thrive?  Because I want people to like me and approve of me.  Our culture has taken this root desire and made it even more challenging with the addition of social media.

Now, I am not going to close all my accounts.  But I am going to be more aware of how social media affects me personally. Let's be reminded that as believers in Christ, God loves us unconditionally, fully accepts and approves of us.  We don't need all the likes and retweets because Jesus has already declared He is on our side.

Let me leave you with one verse that convicted me this week. Galatians 1:10 says "10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man?

The point of this post is not to condemn but to confess how social media has personally affected me.  Blessings as you go through the rest of your day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48

Walking in the Spirit