Devotion in Hesston Record: Christ in me

The following devotion was originally published in the Hesston Record, July 13, 2016.

A few weeks ago, I returned from Jr. Kids Camp at Tabor College. This was a great week of fun and learning for 4th through 6th graders.  Our theme this year was “Christ in me.”
I loved our theme song by Jeremy Camp.  One of the lyrics says, “So I will fix my eyes 'Cause you're my source of life. I need the world to see that it's Christ in me.”

Often, we want people to notice us and we want to be the center of attention.  We are so self-focused. To prove this point, check out social media like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, or Instagram or even our obsession with the “selfie.”

However, Camp’s song takes the focus off of us and instead points to Christ.  Many people will say, “You might be the only Jesus someone sees.” I would like to shift that focus off of my behavior and actions and point to the One who is God and who will never let them down.  I will disappoint you, but Christ never will. 

Similarly, our camp theme verse was Galatians 2:20.  It says, “20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Go read the verse again.  It is truly good news!  It reminds us that Jesus loves us and gave His life for us.  That’s not just true for me, but for you too.  As we understand this truth, we can choose to believe and receive this free gift of grace. Following Christ is not about being good or following the rules, but it is about Jesus who wants to be in relationship with you.

The verse above also speaks about the mystery of Christ living in us.  How does that work exactly? I’m not completely sure.  But what I do know is that the Christian life is not about do more, try harder instead it is about Christ who had done it all through his life, death, and resurrection. Christianity is about what has been DONE, not what we must DO.

Let’s choose to fix our eyes on Jesus rather than ourselves and the people around us.  This shift of focus will change the way we look at life and will allow people to see Christ in us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48