Quotes from books I am reading

I started two new books recently.  They are The Whole Christ by Sinclair Ferguson and Unchained by Noel Jesse Heikkinen.  Here are some quotes from the first chapter:
We structure our spiritual lives in such a way that we can monitor and measure how we are doing and, presumably, how God feels about us at any given moment.
The problem occurs when our man-made rules become more important than Jesus--when praying or reading the Bible every day becomes more important than following Jesus.
Freedom is not what our culture tells us it is. Freedom is not my deciding, from the urges and longings of my sinful nature, to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, how I want to do it, with whom I want to do it. According to the Bible, that is bondage, not freedom. 


The remedy for both (antinomianism and legalism) is a fuller, biblical, and profound understanding of grace and of the character of God.
When we behold the glory of Christ in the gospel, it reorders the loves of our hearts, so we delight in him supremely, and the other things that have ruled our lives lose their enslaving power over us.  This is sanctification by going deeper into the gospel...
On the surface the Marrow Controversy was about how we preach the gospel; what role, if any, God's law and our obedience play in the Christian life; and what it means to have assurance of salvation. 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48