D6 Conference Reflections, Part 1

So, I am home from church today with a sick kid. Molly has a fever, but other than that seems to be fine. She is a little fussy. I thanked God that no one got sick while I was at the D6 Conference. So, I spent a few minutes this morning having worship at home with Molly. We read the story of creation and looked outside and I asked Molly, Did God create the trees? roses? hoppers? sun? grass? birds? bugs? Molly? After her answers, we sang Awesome God to praise Him for creating all things. We sang a few more songs including one from Seeds Family Worship (Go). I closed by praying for Molly and for church and Sunday School at Hesston MB. To God Be the Glory!

So, now Molly is occupied, I decided to write a post reflecting on my time at the D6 Conference. First, let me say that I have so much to pray through and process that today's post is the first of several more. I was first of all blessed by the 1500 or so senior pastors, children's pastors, youth pastors, discipleship pastors, and family pastors all with a heart for connecting the home and church. It was a great time of worship, learning, and interacting with others with the same passion. I can honestly and firmly say to all of my friends in ministry-if you can only attend one conference in 2010, you need to go the D6 Conference on Sept. 15-17, 2010. Why? It is centered on Scripture. What do I mean? I have attended many ministry conferences over the last 10 years who have had great speakers and talked about the Bible, but the D6 Conference shows you HOW based on God's Word. Lots of conferences use the Bible and then go to creative and effective ways to minister based on their own thoughts, opinions, culture, etc. D6 showed us from God's Word how to minister effectively based on Scripture. Several of the speakers for the pre-con labs stressed the importance of a proper theology of family ministry before proceeding with specific strategies. Thanks for that challenge Brian Haynes and Rob Rienow!

So, I am going to list several Scriptures that were cited at the conference. Please read through these and ask yourself these questions posed by Brian Haynes:

What do they mean?
What would these look like at home?
What would these look like at church?

Here are the Scriptures:

  • Deuteronomy 6:4-9
  • Psalm 78:1-8
  • Proverbs 22:7
  • Mark 12:29-31
  • Matthew 28:18-20
  • Ephesians 6:4
  • Malachi 4:4-6
  • Luke 1:17
  • Isaiah 43:18

I encourage you to read my previous posts for some specific quotes from the speakers. For my next post, I plan to write why a shift or change in strategy is needed within the church to effectively reach and minister to families. I am excited about what God has taught me the last few days and look forward to what it looks like in my family and church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48