Keep Praying

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." Colossians 4:2

I read these words as part of my daily Bible reading yesterday. They really resonated with me personally as well as in ministry. However, I discovered today that I actually read the wrong book. I was supposed to read 1 Thessalonians, but instead read Colossians. So, I think the Holy Spirit directed me to this passage for a reason.

As I read these words, I think about my church. About 3 months ago, I challenged the congregation to pray faithfully during our transition and search for a lead pastor. I hope this challenge is being followed through on. However, I know myself and know I sometimes forget so I am going to post again the prayer guidelines that I shared on May 2nd. Please be praying for Hesston MB church and know that Satan likes to create chaos and problems during transitions such as this.

Before I post the insert, a couple of quick observations. First, we are to devote ourselves to prayer. Are we devoted to prayer? Too often I pray to complete it, instead of being devoted to it. Unfortunately, the church as a whole tends to think of prayer as an add on or only needed in "big things". I am disappointed many times when the church is open for a prayer meeting and only a faithful few show up. If we are to be devoted to prayer, shouldn't we make prayer a priority in our actions? The next quick point is that we need to be watchful and thankful. What a great reminder! Satan is out to bring us down, our flesh and the world mislead us--so as believers we need to keep our eyes open. Prayer is not only about asking for what I want but also praising and thanking God for His faithfulness. How much of your prayers are me focused rather than Christ focused? So, I hope these words encourage you and if you attend Hesston MB-please be in prayer and here is a recap of the insert from May 2nd.

Prayer During Our Transition

This is not intended to be a rigid document, but instead to unify us together as we pray during this transition.

  • That Christ would be exalted and glorified through the transition process.
  • Pray against a spirit of division, bitterness, apathy, or anger within our church body and pray for unity, community, fellowship, & open communication.
  • Pray against Satan’s attacks on our church during this time of transition. Pray those schemes (2 Corinthians 2:11) would be brought to light and dealt with in the name and blood of Christ.
  • Pray for leadership and the congregation as we move forward in the transition and for wisdom and discernment as we go through refocusing and the search for a lead pastor. Pray for God to make clear those who should be a part of the search committee.
  • Pray for a time of growth within the church during this time of transition rather than “going in neutral or staying the same.”
  • Pray for small group gatherings when the congregation gives input to be based on purpose and vision of HMBC, being a servant and sacrificial in nature instead of “getting what I want.”
  • Pray for ministries to continue strongly during the coming months and not be negatively affected.
  • Pray for a powerful move of the Spirit for Brad as he goes on sabbatical and that God would clearly reveal his plan and purposes for his ministry as well as bring refreshment, renewal, and relaxation.
  • To God Be the Glory!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48