Book Review: Intentional Integrity

I finished reading Intentional Integrity by Garnett Reid today.  The cover of the book states, "Ten Life Strategies For Wholeness From the Book of Job."  In the book, Reid looks specifically at Job Chapter 31 where he sees ten areas of integrity that should be present in our lives.  These ten areas include: purity, honesty, contentment, loyalty, equity, compassion, worship, forgiveness, confession, & stewardship. Each chapter has the same format: What Job Says, What We Face (our culture), & What We Must Do. 

The format made the book easy to read in many aspects.  However, I kept wondering to whom would I recommend this book.  The first part of each chapter at times became cumbersome and difficult to wade through.  However, due to the predictability of each chapter, I kept going to the less academic sections which looked to culture and application.  Reid is an Old Testament scholar and it shows in those sections of the book.  But I kept wondering, would others be willing to persevere through these sections?  I have to admit I am not a scholar by any means, but was not sure I would have been able to discover these ten areas from Job 31.  At times, they felt forced.

There were two other elements of the book that I would change.  The first is a personal preference, but the notes at the end of the book were hard to follow.  I would have liked to have seen foot notes or end notes. Second, the what to do section made me feel overwhelmed.  I think it was due to the number of practical suggestions and what felt like I just need to try harder.  I felt it lacked an element of being empowered by the Holy Spirit. 

With all that said, I would cautiously recommend this book to others.  Reid's understanding of culture and practical application were helpful and definitely made me reflect on my own personal integrity.  It was also a quick read at only 110 pages.  I could see the book used in accountability groups and especially in a college guy's small group.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48