Book Review: Red Letter Revolution

I have been reading Red Letter Revolution by Shane Claiborne and Tony Campolo. In the book, they describe a group called, "Red Letter Christians" who are seeking to follow what Jesus said. The cover of the book asks the question, "What if Jesus Really Meant What He Said?" I was fascinated by the cover and was excited to read the book.

There are many great things about this book. First, I enjoyed the conversational tone between Tony and Shane in each chapter. Their dialogue and questions and answers were helpful. Second, they do a great job covering many topics that most authors would avoid such as life, environment, women, racism, sexuality, war & violence, economics, reconciliation, etc. It is broken into three parts: Red Letter Theology, Red Letter Living, & Red Letter World.

I offer a mixed review of this book. In some ways, the book was great for me as it challenged my thinking and what I believe about specific issues. On the other hand, the book focused more on personal interpretation and preference than what Jesus really said. For a book with the question above on the cover, in my opinion, it should include much more discussion on Jesus' words. Often a verse was referenced and then not explained or expounded upon. 

As a pastor, I would only recommend this book to a very limited audience. Some of their teaching on women, sexuality, & their perspective on church I disagree with. I can agree with much of their writing on community, war/violence, life, & politics. But I would not give this book to a new believer because some of their theology is lacking Scriptural support. It is for these reasons that you will either enjoy this book or quit reading.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48