My Response to Student Ministry Panel at D6

One of the sessions at D6 this year was a Student Ministry Panel from student ministers from a variety of churches.  You can view some of the dialog here.  While I agreed with much of the content, there was something missing. 

As a former youth pastor myself, I struggled with how to engage parents in ministry with students.  Several volunteered to help out with activities, but I was not sure how involved they were in passing on faith at home.  I tried seminars such Understanding Your Teenager and other parenting classes, but the only ones that showed up were parents that seemed to being doing well at home.  I knew there must be a better way.

I hoped that this panel would give me new ideas to share, but I heard a lot of the same "excuses" youth pastors have been using for years.  I realize that teenagers are separating from their parents, but does that mean the parent does not have influence any longer.  I know our teenagers need other voices in their lives so I agree youth ministry is needed, but the majority of what I heard was church focused not home focused.  I know it won't look the same as what we do with our children.  Wayne Rice did share about the importance of teens worshiping with parents and how they had done intergenerational activities at his church. But for the most part, I came away with focus on the youth ministry and not the home.

In response, I look to what Dave Teixeira was doing at Ventura Missionary Church.  Dave did some innovative things to bring parents into the middle of the conversation.  See his book with Mark Holmen called Take It Home for more information.  I also look to what Brad Burkholder (our former youth pastor and now lead pastor) has done with parents in the area of purity.  He has taught parents how to talk with their teens about issues of purity & sex.  Brad also encouraged parents to attend his most recent mission trip to the Dominican Republic.  Brian Haynes also has some great thoughts with his legacy milestones.  These, in my opinion, are great ideas for how to partner with parents.

So, what do you think?   Did I miss these elements during the panel discussion?  Am I being too optimistic that parents can & will shape their teenagers' spiritual lives? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48