The Battle For . . .The Church

Obviously, I am an advocate for the church. I work for one and have been involved in one through most of my life. The longer I am in the church, the more I realize both the wonderful ways God is using the church in our world and unfortunately also the ways the church has failed. Let me begin by saying just because you go to church does not make you a Christian. Your salvation is not determined by church activity or attendance. However, the church is Jesus plan for reaching the world.

Here are some lies that Satan tells us in regards to the church as well as lies we tell ourselves:
  • You don't have to go to church, you can can worship at home.
  • The church is full of hypocrites so I should not go.
  • I am a Christian because I go to church.
  • If someone hurts your feelings, just find another church.
  • I must have my life together to go to church.
  • I can pick and choose what I like about several churches and get what I need from them (i.e. children's, youth, adult, prayer, men's/women's ministry, service, etc.).
  • The church should be focused on being relevant.
  • The church should be focused on being reverent.
  • They better sing the songs I like this week or I won't go back next week.
  • I can't believe Bob (fill in your person's name) is here. He does not come across as a Christian at work.
  • I saw Jenny on Friday night and she is not worthy to be here.
  • I sure hope the Pastor is not boring today.
  • All the church ever does is ask for money.
  • Worship is about what I get of of the service. I am the audience.
  • I won't go to church because people will judge me.
  • It will be a waste of my time.
  • Everything trumps my church attendance. (football games, traveling teams, music, sleeping in after a long week, whether I feel like going, etc.)
  • It does not impact my life.
  • The list goes on and on.
What's the truth?

Hebrews 10:24-25 says, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

Acts 2: 42-47 says, "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."

Matthew 28:19-20 says, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

1 Corinthians 12:12, 18-19, 26-27 says, "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. . .but in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body. . .If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it."

Ephesians 4:11-16 says, "It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of fullness of Christ. Then we will not longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does it work."

Mark 2:17 says, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

There are many more Scriptures that I could share. The church needs to be both a place of relevance and reverence. It should not be either or. In worship, the audience is God, not us. We need to be willing to sacrifice our personal preferences for others. We need to lovingly welcome people to church. If they sit in our row or pew, we joyfully sit behind them. The church should be there for people in the good and difficult times. The church should come alongside people as they go through struggles. I long for the day when people seek out the church for help rather than avoid it because of what they think people will say or think about their situation. The church is to be place for sharing who Jesus is with people.

We in America are bad about being "consumers" of church. People should not be church hoppers who jump from one church to another. That is not what Christ intended for the body of Christ to be. We think we should be able to pick and choose what we like. To be effective however, we must be completely a part of one church. How can I serve you if I only see you at Wednesday night programs? How can you be encouraged by others and allowed to use your gifts if you are bouncing from church to church? Don't get me wrong. There are legitimate reasons to leave a church, but most of the time people leave for superficial reasons. Pick a church where the Word of God is preached faithfully. If your church compromises on the Word of God, then look for another church. Pick a church where you and your family will fit and get involved. Church is not just what happens on Sunday. It is not about being a pew sitter. I believe Jesus weeps when He looks at the state of the church in America. I pray that we will become the body of Christ that Jesus would be smiling down upon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48