The Battle For . . .Finances

Let me begin by saying this is an area that I have a lot to learn. No, I don't need help balancing a checkbook or making a budget. I can do all of those things well. I understand money and numbers pretty well, after all, I was an accounting and business administration major at Sterling College. But I am talking about giving generously and being a good steward. I am talking about sacrificing stuff so I can have a balanced budget. Yes, I do have credit cards and no, I have not used them wisely at all times. Debt has controlled us at times. However, one decision that I will never regret was having Bethany stay home with the kids resulting in lower income. This decision has created some financial hardships for us, but they were worth it so she could be home with the kids. Finances are one of the areas many couples cite as one of the main reasons for their divorce. Money is at the center of many conflicts and disagreements in marriage.

Here are the lies we tell ourselves or Satan tells us about finances:
  • You deserve the newest car or newest computer or newest gadget.
  • Having a couple of credit cards won't be a big deal.
  • As long as I pay the minimum payments, I will get this credit card paid off.
  • Everyone is in debt--it is not a big deal.
  • A budget is too hard to follow.
  • Savings is something I will do later when my expenses are lower.
  • I will give to God after everything else has been paid.
  • If I don't have a cheerful heart as the Bible suggests, then I should not give.
  • I cannot afford supporting a missionary or the church as my expenses are too great.
  • When unexpected expenses come, just sign up for a new credit card to pay for it.
  • I need the car now so I have to go in debt.
  • All I need to do is make more money.
  • My wife shops for clothes all the time and is why we never have any money. (Actually in most cases, it is a big purchase made by the husband that creates the financial strain)
  • I need it!
  • The list could go on and on.
What's the truth?

2 Corinthians 9:6-7 says, "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

2 Corinthians 9:10-13 says, "Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else.

Matthew 6:19-21 says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal. for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

1 Timothy 6:10 says, "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil . . ."

Matthew 6:24 says, "No one can serve two maters. either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

Our giving should be sacrificial as shown by the widow in Mark 12:41-44. It says, "Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything--all she had to live on."

See the book of Proverbs for several verses on giving, debt, and savings.

As I mentioned before, I am still working on this area in my life.
One thing we learned about in premarital counseling over 11 years ago that I have continued to this day is to tithe first before I pay any other bills. If you wait until the end of your bills, it is too easy to neglect giving to God. We talked last night in family worship about being a giver. We prayed that each of us would be cheerful givers. Don't let finances come between you and your spouse. Communicate about it and seek help from godly couples whom you trust. We in America are blessed! When you have been to another country, you quickly realize how spoiled we are (not just our kids, but us too!) We have much and therefore much is required of us. How can you be more generous? Are you giving faithfully to the church and missionaries/ministries that advance the gospel? I pray that all of us would seek God as to how to best handle our finances. He has much to say about it in the Bible.

Comments

  1. Ron and I made the decision that I would stay home with our young children and not work outside the home as well. It was HARD! Then I knew it was worth it, but now that my children are adults I see it was TOTALLY WORTH IT! We sacrified many things to do it, but our children are the biggest blessing we have from God and I would do it all again to be with them and nurturing them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48