The Battle For . . . God's Word

Have you read the Bible today? I love starting my day off reading God's Word. However, I don't always get it done. To me, it is not just checking something off my list to be more spiritual, but instead how I stay connected to God. As the Holy Spirit guides me, verses jump off the page to encourage and convict me. I don't understand how people can say that the Bible is not relevant to their life. I am blessed as I read through the pages of Scripture.

Here are some lies that we say to ourselves or Satan puts in our minds:

  • It's too hard to understand.
  • It's boring.
  • It has nothing to say to me about my current situation: singleness, marriage, parenting, purity, sex, etc.
  • It was written thousands of years ago and is not relevant to the 21st century.
  • It is not really God's Word.
  • It is a bunch of great stories, but does not include absolute truth.
  • It is full of errors.
  • The authors of Scripture had their own bias and agenda.
  • The Bible contradicts itself.
  • I don't have the time to read the Bible.
  • It has no power.
  • The Bible is just a story or myth.
  • The list goes on and on.
What's the truth?

2 Timothy 3:14-16 says, "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

Hebrews 4:12 says, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrows; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

2 Peter 1:20-21 says, "Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from
God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

Psalm 119:105 says, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."

Isaiah 55:11 says, "so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

John 8:31-32 says, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

John 17:17 says, "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth."

There is an attack on the Bible. This attack is not only from those outside the church, but also from those within. I am saddened by those who are buying the lies of the Jesus Seminar and "enlightened" biblical scholars. Our culture and society is proof of what happens when we have no absolute truth. Who decides what is right? We must have a standard of right or wrong outside of ourselves and that is the Bible. Relativism does not work. Everyone is quick to advocate no absolute truth until their own rights are violated (i.e. stealing might be OK, but it's not OK if it happens to me). God's Word is not a list of no's, but instead a loving God revealing to us boundaries and guardrails to protect us from sin. If we choose to disobey God's Word, He knows the consequences can be great and harmful. I don't understand everything, but I know the Bible is truth and it is relevant to my life. Why not pick it up and begin reading right now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48