The Battle For . . . Prayer

This post is one that is very important and personal to me. I have been blessed and powerfully changed by prayer. Prayer is conversation with God-both speaking and listening. When spending time with God, we are impacted and changed. I have grown a lot in this area over the years. I love spending time in prayer. I love praying with and for others. Prayer is powerful! Prayer changes things! Then why don't we pray more?

Here are the lies that Satan tell us and what our flesh says in regards to prayer:
  • Your sleep is more important than prayer.
  • It really doesn't make any difference. God is in control and He has already decided what is going to happen-so why bother praying?
  • Others are more gifted or experienced in prayer so I will let them focus on prayer.
  • I don't have the time.
  • I don't know what to say.
  • I am unworthy and could never approach God in prayer.
  • I love taking my lists to God. (Prayer is not just about us-it also includes adoration of God, confession, thanksgiving for what God has done, and then prayers for self and those around us)
  • I don't like to pray out loud.
  • Someone else is praying for that need so it's covered.
  • There are other things more important than praying like evangelism and worship.
  • Let's pray quickly in Sunday School or a meeting so we can get to the more important things.
  • God does not even hear you.
  • God is too busy to be bothered with my little requests. I should only pray about the big things.
  • We pray. We pray at bedtime and at meals. Isn't' that enough?
  • That person or situation is decided. It is too late to pray.
  • Again, the list goes on and on.

What's the truth?

Philippians 4:6-7 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

1 Thessalonians 5:17 says, "Pray continually"

Romans 12:12 says, "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."

Matthew 6:9-13 says, "This, then, is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."

Ephesians 6:18-20 says, "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

Genesis 25:21 says, "And Isaac prayed to the Lord for his wife, because she was barren. And the Lord granted his prayer, and Rebekah his wife conceived."

Nehemiah 1:6 says, "let your ear be attentive and your eyes open, to hear the prayer of your servant that I now pray before you day and night for the people of Israel your servants, confessing the sins of the people of Israel, which we have sinned against you. Even I and my father's house have sinned."

Psalm 66:20 says, "Blessed be God, because He has not rejected my prayer or removed His steadfast love from me!"

Matthew 21:13 says, "He said to them, It is written, My house shall be called a house of prayer . . ."

James 5:16 says, "Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

These Scriptures clearly show that we need to be praying often. Prayer is a privilege. Prayer should be the foundation of all we do. If we want to be effective in evangelism, teaching, outreach, service, etc, then we need to be praying and asking others to pray with us. Our first response at work, at home, at church, etc, should be to pray before we try to "fix" the situation. Prayer is a gift given to us by God. Our God hears us and has the power to answer our prayers. Let's get praying!

Comments

  1. What a fantastic reminder and encouragement. Thanks for taking the time to write this and bless others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog on prayer J.L. -- really encouraging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48