Crazy Love

Yesterday, I finished the book, Crazy Love, by Francis Chan. I highly recommend the book. I wanted to share some quotes from the final chapter that really "rocked my world."

"The first church responded with immediate action: repentance, baptism, selling possessions, sharing the gospel. We respond with words like Amen, Convicting sermon, Great book . . . and then are paralyzed as we try to decipher what God wants of our lives."

"My suggestion as you think, make decisions, and discern how God would have you live is to ask yourself, "Is this the most loving way to do life? Am I loving my neighbor and my God by living where I live, by driving what I drive, by talking how I talk? " I urge you to consider and actually live as though each person you come into contact with is Christ."

"Memories are wonderful, but do you live differently because of them?"

"Be careful not to turn others' lives into the mold for your own. Allow God to be as creative with you as He is with each of us."

"What I can say is that you must learn to listen to and obey God, especially in a society where it's easy and expected to do what is most comfortable."

"I wrote this book because much of our talk doesn't match our lives. We say things like, " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, and Trust in the Lord with all your heart." Then we live and plan like we don't believe God even exists. We try to set our lives up so everything will be fine even if God doesn't come through. But true faith means holding nothing back. It means putting every hope in God's fidelity to His promises."

"Most of us use "I'm waiting for God to reveal His calling on my life" as a means of avoiding action. Did you hear God calling you to sit in front of the television yesterday? Or to go on your last vacation? Or exercise this morning? Probably not, but you still did it. The point isn't that vacations or exercise are wrong, but that we are quick to rationalize our entertainment and priorities yet are slow to commit to serving God."

"If we love, then we obey. Period. This sort of matter-of-fact obedience is part of what it means to live a life of faith."

"The greatest blessing I received during those trips to the inner city was seeing God work in situations where He has to. As a result, I've made it a commitment to consistently put myself in situations that scare me and require God to come through."

"First, I remember that If I stop pursuing Christ, I am letting our relationship deteriorate."

"Our view of the Holy Spirit is too small. The Holy Spirit is the One who changes the church, but we have to remember that the Holy Spirit lives in us. It is individual people living Spirit-filled lives that will change the church."

"My hope and prayer is that you finish this book with hope, believing that part of your responsibility in the body of Christ is to help set the pace for the church by listening and obeying and living Christ."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48