Live The Word At Home

As Associate Pastor of Family Ministry, one of my joys is meeting with couples/parents to get to know them better and for them to get to know me. I enjoy hearing their stories of how they met and to find out more about their lives. Currently, I am visiting families to talk about parent/child dedication. This serves as a reminder to me of the importance of the partnership between parents and the church. What a blessing it is to know you are not alone in parenting, yet at the same time to stand before your church family and commit to raising your children to love God and love others. I look forward to Molly's dedication as well as six other families at Hesston MB on June 21.

I finished chapters 6-7 of Voddie Baucham's book, "Family Driven Faith" this afternoon. This book is definitely a challenge to the way we do children and youth ministry. The basis for his book is Deuteronomy 6. He does a great job of integrating the Bible into everything he says. Let me share a few quotes from my reading today:

"I cannot simply use cultural, secular humanist methods and expect to reap biblical results."

"In other words, there is to be no sense of categorization in life that places biblical truth on one side and parenting on the other."

"obedience is a spiritual issue."

"Practically it means we must devote ourselves to teaching and expecting our children to do what they are told, when they are told, with a respectful attitude."

These quotes remind me how far I have to go as a father. I have not achieved most of this, but I am seeking to grow as a dad every day. I continue to read God's Word and ask for wisdom as a husband and father. God, help me raise children who love you and love others. Help me encourage others to grow in this area of parenting as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48