Which Way Should I Go?

As a guy, I hate asking for directions when I might be lost.  I like to use the GPS on my phone, but this can often lead me to go weird ways when I know exactly how to get somewhere.  To prove the point, I have driven to Sterling often (since I graduated from there), but have ended up taking the longer route the last two times I have driven there. 

This driving illustration leads me to direction we need in our lives.  I have several decisions related to ministry and home that need to be made.  At times, I can become overwhelmed with deciding between two good options.  As I was praying on Tuesday, I was pondering these decisions and asked God to speak to me through His Word.  He did.  Here is the Scripture that was brought to mind:
Do not fret because of those who are evil
    or be envious of those who do wrong;
for like the grass they will soon wither,
    like green plants they will soon die away.
Trust in the Lord and do good;
    dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord;
    trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
    your vindication like the noonday sun.
Be still before the Lord
    and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when people succeed in their ways,
    when they carry out their wicked schemes.

A couple of observations:
  • "Do not fret" is repeated.  When we are overwhelmed or worrying, we need to turn to God.  Notice the progression from worry to focus on God.
  • This passage calls us to focus on God.  See where we are told to trust, take delight, commit.
  • We are also told to be still.  This is hard for me.  In this day and age of noise everywhere, it is hard to be quiet.  I must intentionally plan time to be quiet.
  • And lastly, we are told to wait.  When circumstances are not going the way we want, we need to wait on the Lord.  Again, I am not good at waiting.  I do not enjoy waiting in line or in traffic.  However, if we choose to wait, we can be reminded of the faithfulness of God.  He will work it out.
I needed to hear this today.  I hope if you are worried or circumstances are not in your favor today that God's Word from Psalm 37 will encourage you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon Notes-"Transitional Thoughts"

Sermon Notes "Plans" based on Acts 10:24-48